Monday, September 5, 2011

Remembering 9/11

It's a few days until the 10th Anniversary of 9/11.  I will be in WA and most likely not have the opportunity to write down my thoughts at that time.

Ten Years ago on that day I remember waking up and planning to have a 2nd interview at Victoria's Secret at Bellevue Square.  I woke up early and listened to my voice mails to hear a message from my mom telling me to turn on the TV because "America is under attack"  My moms voice sounded so dramatic.  I remember rolling my eyes and thinking to myself, "oh mom, your so dramatic, America Under Attack!"

I did however go to the TV and turn it on.  Really thinking it would be nothing...if I would be able to find anything on TV that my mom was talking about at all.  Little did I know. America was in fact under attack!

The first thing I saw on the screen was the scene we all see to this day of the towers.  I turned it on just a small moment after the 2nd tower was hit.  I instantly was floored and couldn't believe what I was seeing.  I was so confused, my mind was quickly trying to catch up with what my eyes where seeing.  I was glued to that TV for hours.  Later that day I was on my way to my interview.  I went through the motions of getting ready and heading out.  On my way I was called and told the interview was canceled due to what was happening.

The drive home was so eerie.  The roads were abnormally bare.  People were extremely courteous and nice, in a somber way.  We were all connected through a horrific tragedy.  It made me want to fight and defend.  I was angry this happened in my country.  I was scared what else was going to happen.

I just watched Hero's of the 88th Floor.  Before watching this I have always thought, if I was in the towers I would have B lined it down the stairs immediately.  But after watching this show I see things in a way I never thought of.  The people inside had no idea what was going on at all so many of them waited around to be told what to do.  It reminded me of when I was at work during an earthquake.  No one got under their desk, or Ducked and Covered.  We all stood around looking at each other with dumb looks on our faces.

I hope we never forget that day.  I know I never will.  I don't mind, in fact I welcome the reminders and pictures I see on the TV.  We need to remember the Hero's, the innocent lives that were lost, families that are still trying to cope without their loved ones.  I love to hear the stories of the Hero's of 9/11.  It makes me so proud to be an American.  I love this country.  It shows me that we are all good people.  Given an opportunity I believe most of us would shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment