I can't tell you how much I love my sons. It truly is an indescribable feeling. They are absolutely the best things I've ever contributed to this world. You may be very proud of your kids, and justifiably so for most of you, but Jennifer and I, without a doubt, make the best kids in the world.
Gideon still feels so new to me, and yet I also feel like he's been around forever. Jennifer seems to think that he and I have a special bond that she and he, and Reagan and I, lack. I don't know that I agree with that. I do feel strongly connected to him, but I feel strongly connected to Reagan too. Gideon loves to stare at people. He is going to be a real force to be reckoned with in a staring contest, but I'm up to the task.
Gideon is a real big talker. I don't remember Reagan being quite so vocal at the same age. Gideon will jabber on for minutes at a time, almost uninterrupted, and I honestly feel that he's actually trying to tell me something important. Most babies blabberings are just that, but with Gid it's different, he's a real communicator. His wife will be so lucky. I think he'll be the son I have the deep discussions with, more so than Reagan.
When Gideon was born, and for weeks afterwards, he admittedly wasn't the best looking baby. Somewhere around two or three months that changed. He is an absolute cutie now. He has such an animated face and I love all of his expressions.
I don't know what to say about Reagan. Rather, I don't know where to start with him. That boy is such an imp. He is the complete package. He's such a handsome boy, with those gorgeous dimples, his sparkling eyes, wavy hair and radiant smile. He's solid in body and mind. He is a thinker for sure. He doesn't communicate vocally as well as most kids his age, but you can tell he's very intelligent. I can just see the wheels turning in his mind, contemplating, planning, problem solving. His motor skills are pretty good and I think he'll be very athletic. I find myself having to make myself remember that he has a heart defect, because he is so active and such a rambunctious little boy.
Reagan has such an awesome sense of humor and a sweet, loving personality. He loves to laugh and to make others laugh and feel good. I think this, more than anything else, is and will be his special gift. Much like myself, humor and caring will be his way into people's hearts and lives. It can be quite irritating at times, because he already knows that I think he's hilarious, and he definitely uses that to his advantage. I had always pictured myself as being somewhat of a hardnosed dad, since that was how my father was, but I can't seem to make myself be overly harsh with him. He knows exactly which buttons to push with me to get me to lighten up and laugh. He also knows when to turn on the charm and the tenderness. It's very frustrating.
I love that Reagan is all boy. He is very rough and tumble, which I need in a son. I like to wrestle and roughhouse, so I need boys that can take it and give it right back. I fear that we'll be spending a lot of time in emergency rooms in the years to come due to his unconquerable, adventurous spirit, but I honestly wouldn't have it any other way. As a child and young man growing up, I lived life to the fullest, and I hope for the same for my boys. That's not say that I want them to get hurt, but can you really call it living if you don't cut loose now and again?
No comments:
Post a Comment