"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences." ~Gordon B. Hinckley
Thursday, May 22, 2014
Our Home
We have been home owners for over a month now. I've not written about it sooner because I've been busy, and there has been a lot of bad feelings in my heart and stomach that has prevented me from wanting to go back and re-hash all that transpired around the purchase of this home.
To start, Evan and I both prayed for the Lord's guidance in where to live. I do feel this home was approved for us. Which made what happened after we bought the house hurt a tiny bit less. Having the confirmation that we had God in our corner backing this huge step in our life helped me from really freaking out.
We signed the papers March 31st for a 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath cabin in the woods on 10.76 acres in Sunbright, Tn The boy's and I moved out here on April 4th. We got on the road around 3am to be there when the Electric opened so we could have power when we got home. It was a very, very rainy day. I got lost on my way to our house. This was the first time I drove to our home. I turned around and saw an electric power truck pass me. I used my head and assumed that this guy was going to our home to turn on the power. So I turned around and rushed to catch up with him. He was very sweet and told me to stay in the van while he opened my gate. I sent him up ahead of me since I wasn't sure my van would make it up our driveway, especially with the rain. I was right. I tried and tried but I couldn't even get half way up. The Electrician offered to help, a voice in my heart said no because there were too many things he could run into and wreck my van. But my head said, he might be used to roads like this and might be able to get the van up. I really needed the van up the hill because it had the boy's things that I needed to make it through the day until Evan would be here later that night, and the things I would need when the guy came to install our cable, internet and phone. He wasn't able to get it up either, but he did knock the passenger side mirror off my van by cutting it too close to the fence. He offered to help me by loading my stuff onto his truck and he would bring it up to the house for me. I accepted his help, and was very thankful for him. Once we got to the top I realized I didn't get the key from Evan. We are 3 hours away from Clarksville and I'm locked out of my house. Thankfully the Electrician found a window that was open and I was able to climb through and let us in.
After he left we found out that the heat and air doesn't work. I'm thankful there were space heaters here. The Sellers left most of their housing items here, including a tractor with attachments. I was very thankful once the cable guy came since we have no cell service, which means I've been totally cut off from talking to anyone all day. However that happiness was short lived once he informed me that the phone and internet people were supposed to have already been there, they are sub contracted out separately, even though we signed up with a bundle package of phone, internet and cable he just does cable. He was very nice and offered to call Evan once he got service and let him know what happened.
Evan showed up later that night and got the uhaul stuck in the same place I did. But he also had a trailer connected to the truck too. In the morning the truck had slide and got even more stuck by sliding into a tree. So we went into town and bought a chain saw and some bags of gravel in hopes of cutting down the tree and freeing the truck. We called the place we needed to return the uhaul and were blessed that as long as we had it back to them when they opened again on Tuesday we would not be charged a later fee, or for any additional days. While Evan was working on getting the truck unstuck a neighbor came by and pulled the truck right up our driveway. It was basically a whole day down, and we were unloading the truck late into the night but we got it done. Thank goodness.
We returned the truck the next day and went to Bryson City to pick up a couple dogs to complete our home, from Evan's Aunt and Uncle. We (I) named them Duke and Tango. On the ride up there Evan took a new way which was 100% twists and turns, and caused me to feel car sick, and Reagan to actually BE car sick. He told us his tummy felt full and we knew what that meant, especially after looking at him and seeing the color in his face I knew he wasn't feeling good. After he got sick he asked for food. =)
We have since found out that our dishwasher doesn't really work, it floods and leaks. There aren't any screens on the windows, the sellers took more things then they were supposed to and I have a feeling that when we pull up the carpets we will be finding mold. The house smells very bad of moth balls, the closets stink of chemicals.
Reagan LOVES the home, he loves playing outside and with the dogs. His attitude has really helped me deal with my feelings with this house. His innocents and love of this this home is what has gotten me through. I'm so thankful for my children, and I'm so thankful for Evan.
I miss Evan so much, I've missed him since the 4th of April. I was too busy packing to realize that from that moment on I would only be seeing Evan on weekends. I didn't take the time to prepare myself for that, but even if I had, there was no way to prepare myself for all that I would have to handle on my own without him. My mom came out to help us on Wednesday which was a very big blessing and I believe really helped me keep it together, knowing there was help on the way soon.
There was an added pressure on my mom and I to get the house ready because we were going to be having all of Evan's family over for a house warming and to celebrate Gideon's 1st Birthday. I'm beyond happy that my mom got to be here for one of the boy's birthday's and it makes it so much more awesome that she was here for Gideon's first!!!
We found out our freezer broke after we bought ice cream for the party and it and everything else we bought for the freezer went bad and melted. So we had to make a special trip out to Crossville which is a hour away to go to Lowes to pick up a deep freezer. We got it, came all the way home to unload it and found out it was totally busted, the lid was totally off it's hinges. I was done! I couldn't believe my luck. The party was tomorrow, it was late, and I didn't want us to have to drive all the way back out there, and back! We called and they said they could deliver, but not by tomorrow. And we still wouldn't have enough time for it to get cold enough to keep the ice cream cold. But either way, Evan and my Mom headed out the next day (day of the party) to pick up a new one, because they offered to give us $50 off because of the inconvenience. They didn't get home until is was about an hour until people were supposed to show up for the party. I was VERY behind on everything we needed to get done. I got the bulk of the stuff done, but was still getting finishing touches done as people were showing up. The end product wasn't exactly like I planned, but it was good enough. I didn't dwell on what didn't work out anymore.
There were many more details I was wanting to share about our first home but to keep my tummy from getting sick, and getting worked up again, I think I've either omitted them from my mind, or just chosen to not include them, so as to not have to live through it again. This really was a very, very horrible experience for me. I'm VERY proud of myself for how well I held up. I wasn't always great, but I did better than I would have expected in so many experiences. I'm still here and that is BIG. I'm learning to deal and survive with what is, and work around it. I'm disappointed with many things and hurt. But going through this it has made me value what really matters, and that is my family. The family and friends that helped us, and the family I have here in this home that keeps me smiling and keeps me moving forward. We are healthy and my boys are happy and that is really what matters most to me. Over time we will make things right and make this into a complete, functioning house.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment