It's official, I have just been inducted into True Mommydom.
Last night was my first "up all night" with my precious baby boy because he was throwing up from his toes.
Evan and I were just getting ready for bed when we heard Reagan crying. This was not the type of cry that I would usually do anything about. Being a mom I'm blessed to recognize what Reagan's cry's mean and the depth of them. This one was not ringing anything serious on my Mommy radar. However, I had a bleeding heart last night and felt like before I went to bed I wanted to help my baby get to sleep and give him a little bottle.
I walked into his room and smelt a very rancid odor. First thought, "OHHH, that is why he was crying, he had a poopy diaper that woke him up, so glad I came in." I went to pick him up and his whole shirt was soaked!! Since I had not put him to bed too long ago I knew it wasn't over flow of pee. "Oh no, was his poopy diaper that bad?!?!" The lights are off, I bring him toward the door where there is more light and try to assess the situation. I can't see any poop that would prevent me from laying him on the floor when it hits me, "I think he threw up!" I turn on the light and sure enough he was COVERED in throw up, his bed was smothered in throw up, my Son had been rolling around...in throw up! YUCK!!
I yell to Evan and drop the bomb of our Son's latest adventures as I take of Reagan's clothes and put him in the tub. Evan comes into his room as I'm tearing down Reagan's crib, or should I say, attempts to come into Reagan's room, he doesn't even make it past the door before he starts dry heaving at the smell. But thankfully Evan is able to take care of Reagan in the tub while I disinfect and throw his whole bedding in the washer. So much for Evan's prayer that night that Reagan would sleep well. =)
I knew at this point Reagan and I were in for a doozie of a night. Poor baby. I wasn't really sure what to do. I have never had to handle a baby that is throwing up, you can't tell them to go to the toilet if they feel sick, you can't just lay a bowl by their bed and leave them alone. Although Evan seems to think that is what you do. I get back upstairs and hear Reagan crying, I think he may be getting sick again, but quickly find that Evan had put him back in his crib with his bottle!!!! Just the fact that Evan thought Reagan would be fine to go back to sleep was enough, but then to see that he had given him a bottle too!! "are you nuts?!" Evan said, "I thought you wanted him to have a bottle?", "Yeah, that was before I knew he had thrown up!!", Evan's reply, "OHHHH!!" =) Once again the amazing divide separating the Mommies from the Daddies!
I soon figured, grab a bowl, a towel and I got myself settled down stairs for what did turn out to be long night. But not as bad as it could have been. I called my Mom to make sure I was doing everything right. I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed anything huge, or to find out if there was anything else I should be doing. Was I doing this right? I for sure didn't want Reagan to pay for my lack of experience in this area. I wanted to take care of him as best as possible and keep him as comfortable as possible.
I'm actually thankful now for that day when Reagan was a tiny baby that I was really, really sick. Because I was able to draw on that to help me relate to how Reagan may have been feeling and how to pamper him. I had wanted to bounce him and rock him. But going off of how I felt in the past I figured no movement was best. He was such a champ. He was pretty much a lump the whole night unless his tummy started acting up. Then he just got fussy and started to want to move around. I would sit him on my lap with the bowl under his chin and let him get it out. He would moan and cry. And I couldn't help it, I cried with him. It was so hard to see him suffer and so miserable. Sometimes even involuntarily standing to get all the throw up out. I know how he feels. By around 1:30-2am was the last time he threw up, but he was still waking up every half hour to an hour crying. Before that it was timed out pretty consistently to every half hour that he was getting sick. It started to taper off and he seemed like he wanted to really go to sleep. Not just sleep on Mommy anymore. So I finally took him upstairs. At 5:22am he was crying out of hunger. I also knew it was so important to get fluids in him. Evan went to the store and got him some Pedilyte. That is all he has had, and will have today.
He seems so much better this morning. After 6am he finally slept pretty well until 9:30am. My poor little baby. We made it through. I gotta say I'm pretty happy with how well I did and pretty proud of myself for taking care of things like I did. I'm also glad Evan was able to help me a little bit. I was in no condition to drive to the store being as tired as I was.
No comments:
Post a Comment