Thursday, October 20, 2011

No More Brushing my Teeth!

Let me just start by saying.  I have a Testimony that their is a God in Heaven.  And he must have a special set of angels set apart to protect our little babies when Mommies are not paying attention.

The other week I was in Reagan's room picking out his clothes while he was playing in our room.  Since he was having a good time I saw no point in dragging him away from what he was playing with just to spend a couple minutes in his room while I grabbed an outfit for him.  I shut the door of whatever room Reagan is in so he won't be able to get out and fall down the stairs or crawl around on the bathroom floor.

So, while I'm in his room I hear what I think is the sound of coins coming from my bedroom.  So I rush in to see Reagan looking up at me as if I'm weird for the way I rushed in on him.  He was fine, no coinage lying around!  whew!!  But that was enough of a warning for me so I pick him up and take him with me into his room to change him.  I lay him down and right next to his head is his paci on the floor so he reaches to grab it, and spits out a penny from his mouth to make room for the paci!!!  OMGosh!!!!!

I was floored!!  He didn't look like he was holding anything in his mouth.  What a blessing that I decided to pick him up when I did and lay him down where I did and what a blessing that his paci was where it was next to his head.  All things worked together that morning!  I was very thankful Heavenly Father had my Son's back!!

Fast Forward to this morning...

Brushing my teeth is the hardest thing for me to do since having a baby.  Before I had Reagan I had a great habit of brushing AND flossing my teeth every day AND swishing with mouth rinse.  Since having Reagan just to squeeze in once a day tooth brushing is a task, let alone flossing or swishing!  But I have started to develop a routine.  Now that Reagan is older and can play on his own I have been leaving him in our room, or his room with the door shut while I get myself taken care of.

This morning I was just trying to brush my teeth.  I had just finished when I hear a very different cry from Reagan.  It almost sounded like he had drank water and he was chocking on it.  Since I know we have no water in our room I rushed to find out what it was.  When I got in he was at the door holding Evan's Ipod remote and chocking and sort of crying.  It seemed to me like he had a Mama Hairball.  Not uncommon in our house at the rate I lose hair to think he might have found a glob of my fallen hair and swallowed it, thinking it was a good idea and now thinking twice about it. 

He was gagging and heaving trying to get what I thought was a hairball out of his throat.  I had stuck my fingers in his mouth a number of times to try and feel for anything and help him get out what was in there.  I was banging on his back to help him throw up.  I hope this was the right think to do, but since he was gagging anyway and I could tell trying to throw up, I tried to help him throw up so during my times of trying to reach in his mouth to feel for anything I would sort of try to help him gag.  I didn't know what else to do.  I kept telling him, "Throw up pumpkin, it's okay, throw up!"  He was moving around and wanted me to hold him, so I held him chest to chest as he occasionally starts to heave.  I even tell him at this point, "It's okay, you can throw up on Mama.  Just get it out."

This whole time I'm just thinking it's a hairball.  Had I known what was about to come out I would have FREAKED!!!  And seriously rushed him to the Hospital.  He wasn't freaking out, he just seemed annoyed.  But I was wanting him to feel better so I finally layed him across my lap and beat his back hard, thrusting up to help him get this thing out.  And what came out?!!!!

Those round batteries that you normally see in watches, but this one was big enough to fit into Evan's Ipod remote(between the size of a quarter and a nickel).  Yup, sure enough once I saw it I picked up the remote that was laying beside me and noticed the back had been taken off and that must have been how the battery fell out and Reagan came to put it in his mouth!  *sigh*  Holy Dang!  I was shocked!  Never would I have imagined that.  Need I even bring up what a blessing this all was.  SOOO easily this could have lodged in Reagan's throat in such a way to completely cut off his air supply.  To such a degree that he would not have been able to cry to get my attention to come into the room to see what the matter was!

I sent up prayers to Heaven in thanks!!  I held Reagan for all of 30 seconds trying to just relish the moment of blessings that just accord.  But Reagan was fine and wanted to get off my lap and hurry off to go play.  Stopping to sit, look back at me and smile.

I'm just floored.  I KNOW there are angels watching over our babies when Mama's are less than their best.  Reagan has the knack for finding things on the floor I don't want him to have.  And this is just after I clean it and pick everything up.
One day I had JUST swept the floor and not even 20 seconds had gone by since I put the broom away that Reagan picked up a chunk of carrot from I don't know where!  I had just swept the floor to prevent that very thing from happening!  I guess despite what I do, whether my Son lives or dies is truly in the hands of the Lord.  I can only do my best.  But this whole realization is still a very scary thought.  I try so hard, and keep being reminded I fall short and it is all in God's hands.

3 comments:

  1. so scary!!! glad he is alright! i learned recently that if they are choking on their own, it's not a good idea to beat on the back as it can settle it back down with the banging. but, if they aren't choking then to do it. either way, glad he got it out and it alright!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes sense. That will be hard to break an instinct habit. In this case I think the way I positioned him in the end and beat upward it got the battery out. I did 2ish hard beats on his back around or below his should blades and it popped out. What you said totally makes sense but I just can't see myself not doing something to help him if he is chocking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know what you mean. i still have to catch myself and remember.....very hard to break and sometimes they just need a good back beating if it's not working. :)

    ReplyDelete