Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Mind over Body

What is with my guilty, "in trouble" stomach?  Why do I get that sick feeling after every social event?  I'm really fricken sick of it!!!!!

I don't even think I said anything wrong tonight at our Ward Chocolate social.  So why?!!  I hate it.  My whole body reacts, feeling sick and slightly dizzy.  I had to pray a couple times tonight to feel better.  I'm really so sick of feeling sick after social functions it's just not worth it to go.

I guess I know I will keep going, but I'm torn.  It is very easy for me to be quiet, recluse, and keep to myself, but I really want to try harder to make friends and be social, especially for Reagan's sake, I don't want him to have socially awkward parents, and hold him back from any opportunities. I am who I am, which apparently I must be ashamed of in public.  What has happened in my past that has scared me so bad and effected so deeply my social interactions.  I really don't know what to do about this.  I don't know why my body has this reaction, so how can I figure out a way to fix it?

I want to cry from the guilt and sick feelings, especially because I don't think I even did anything but I'm still feeling this way.  It's so maddening.

5 comments:

  1. I have been following your struggle with this social anxiety type of issue and think I may have a great coping mechanism I'd love to share with you!
    Keep post it notes with you at all times. After a social event, no matter how you are feeling, jot down things on your post its. First make a post it or two of things you think may have offended someone, awkward moments you are dwelling on, and anything negative you can remember from the event. Then pray on those specific issues and tear the post it up and throw it away! As if giving your issues to God and destroying any evidence left behind that may taunt you.
    To double the fight against the horrible feelings you have, make another list on post its of positive interactions you had throughout the event, really fun moments that you enjoyed, and a time or two when you felt moved or touched by another person. Then put them up somewhere you can see them and leave them until your next outing. On our bathroom mirror, in the car, or in your bible.
    Just something I thought of that may help you out. Can't hurt to try and I will pray for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are good suggestions, I'll try it next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were fine Jenn. It saddens me that you feel this way. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry that you feel that way. I feel that way in social situations as well and it sucks :( I usually try to avoid them or if I have to go then I usually stick to myself or with people I know. I hope it gets better for you.

    ReplyDelete