Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Visiting Teaching Gone Wrong

I was assigned a letter route for visiting teaching.  I have 6 ladies on my route that have never been seen at church.  All I'm supposed to do is write them a letter or note each month.  I got a new route on Sunday, most are the same, but I have a couple new gals. Still only 6!!

To tell on myself, the last time I wrote out letters they did not get mailed.  I didn't have enough stamps for all of them, and I kept having good intentions to pick some up, but that means I didn't mail out the ones I did have all stamped and ready to go.  I just figured I would mail them all out together.  I didn't want to waste the postage stamps that I already had on the envelopes so I still had all of the letters saved and figured I would just reopen the letters and switch out the RS calendar and my message.

Stay with me folks....

I have an email for a couple of my ladies, so I got those letters out first. No postage needed!!
Then I looked at my stack of already sealed VT envelopes and found the ladies that were still on my list, opened those letters and put the new message in.  Now I only had 2 more ladies to go.  My plan, after I switch out the message I'll just white out the old address and put my new person's name and address over it. 

My White Out was upstairs in Reagan's room.  It was evening and he was sleeping so I planned on doing it the next day.  So I just wrote above the old Sisters name, the new sisters name so I could seal it up and be as ready as possible tomorrow to mail them out.

I did this with both ladies, writing their name above the old persons name with the idea of whiting out and mailing the next day.  But that is not what happened.

Reagan and I had a HUGE day or errands, we needed to go to our Water, Electric, and Cable companies to update our new bank account information.  Apparently this can't be done online, or over the phone.  Go to the bank to make our car payment, pay rent and do our shopping for the next 2 weeks.  With all this on my mind I totally forgot that I didn't white out anything, and I just grabbed the stack of letters and we headed out for our busy, full day.  In the process of our day I swung through the post office drive up and threw all the letters in the mailbox feeling so proud of myself for being so on top of VT for this month!!

It was not until later, when we were home from all our errands, Reagan was napping and I was just dozing off for my nap when it all hit me!!  2 ladies are going to get a letter with not only their name, but someone else's name on the envelope, open it up and have it addressed to someone else!!

BUT, it doesn't stop there...

Later last night I was making up new VT letters for the ladies again and luckily I still had 2 extra RS calendar's left to give them, since 2 of my ladies are email savvy, and the calendar I got for myself.  I had already written on my calendar, Evan's birthday.  But wait, where is the calendar that I already wrote on?!!!  Yup, I mailed that one to someone!!!!  I dearly hope it's not to one of the gals I already screwed up on!! Or do I hope it went to one of them?...

This is the sucky part about only writing letters, if these women knew me and then got my screwed up letter they would have said, "oh, it's just Ding Bat Jenn, it all makes sense."  But they don't know me, and these ladies aren't even coming to church anyway, way to go Jenn!!  Let's just "seal the deal" so to speak!! =)  I'm sure I'm really helping these gals feel special. =P  egh, I feel so bad. =(  I wish I could visit them so they could met me, and then I'm sure it would all make sense! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment