I of course had things I needed to do before we left, like sweep, vacuum, clean the toilets and other last minute stuff I had planned. THEN, we got in the car and headed out! It seemed to take forever to finally get us going. Once we got to the hospital we checked in and went to an observation room. This whole process was rather boring so I'll skip it, basically by 1pm I was officially admitted into L&D at 2 cm dilated. With the agreement that we would just induce me now since I had so much blood, and I'm scheduled to get induced in a couple days anyway.
I didn't feel ANYTHING this whole time. By the time a Dr. came in to check me, to figure out and discuss our plans for how to move forward with the induction I was at 3cm, while she was checking me, I had a contraction (which once again I didn't feel at all) she said that with that contraction I moved up to 4cm. She asked if I wanted to have her break my water and wait and see how I progress after that, or if I wanted the pitocin right then. I opted to have her break my water and see how that goes. My thought was, since I seem to already be making progress, no need to add meds that make life more painful!
That turned out to be a good move! I still didn't feel anything at all that made me uncomfortable. Until around 5:30-5:45pm. At that time I finally felt my first contraction that if I was home would have caught my attention enough to make me take notice and start keeping track of things. This is all just a testimony to me that God once again knows what he is doing. Because Gideon was born an hr later. Had I been at home I would have been totally screwed!!! It takes an hr just to get to Nashville, and at that time rush hour would have been horrific!! I would have probably had the baby at home, or on the way!!! No thank you!
I had called a friend of mine, Niki, to see if she was available to be with me. I had, had her in the back of my mind for awhile but didn't want to call her until last minute because she is known for being flaky and I didn't want to be upset if she bailed on me last minute. Thankfully she was working close so it wasn't far out of way.
My nurse finally came in around the time the contractions got stronger. Other than that we didn't see her before that. I put all the blame of my natural child birth on her. She clearly had better things on her mind that day than tending to us. She even told another nurse early on to keep an eye on me because she had things to do. When she finally came in again I asked her if I could be checked. I needed some idea of where we were at so I could make the decision to get the pitocin or not. She said they don't like to check a lot due to infection. I get that, but this baby is about to be born, don't you usually get checked more than once during your labor?!!! IDIOT! From this moment on, I no longer liked my nurse...
While she was in there I put in the request to get the epidural since I knew it can take a long time to arrive. That was a very good call because just about immediately my body started having the living crap kicked out of it. It was for sure like a light switch. The hag nurse finally checked me and I was just coming up on 8cm!! I was in the full on grasp of labor when Niki arrived and Evan had to leave me alone to get Niki. I told him to RUN!!
Can I just say Niki's timing was PERFECT! It gave me the mental boost I needed. I was a mess. I kept asking where that epi guy was!! Finally Niki told them to tell me the truth. And they finally dropped the bomb, no Epi!!! =( I was pretty much delusional at this point, no joke. Evan said he was surprised, he thought I was going to make a bigger deal and cause a scene. There is only so much I can do when my body is dictating what I'm doing. I really was captive to what my body wanted me to do. During the labor I remember my body basically going into shock, it was seriously shaking and convulsing more than I have ever seen or experienced. I remember everyone yelling at me. My idiot nurse even grabbed my head and told me to look at her. Grrr, first off, don't grab my head like that, 2nd, don't yell at me!! I didn't look at her. She was trying to tell me I could do it, blah, blah, blah.
Even when I was having the more normal contractions while she was in there I didn't like her. She was so rude, "breathe in, breathe out." thanks, I'm not an idiot I don't need you to remind me to breathe. I WAS breathing, or else I'd be dead right now!! Evan was a life saver...HER lifesaver. HE knew I didn't like her, (maybe cause I even told her shut up at one point) Anytime she started talking, Evan got his mouth right into my ear and talked as loud and yet softly as he could the words I needed to hear in the tone I wanted to hear. I think she pissed me off because Evan and I had been doing just fine without her the whole time and now she was gonna come in at the very end and be a supportive good nurse?! I think not. We had it on lock down and she needed to butt out at this point. She already failed in every other task I gave her!!
So basically, an hour after I felt my first real serious contraction Gideon was born at 6:26pm!! So all that went down REALLY fast. I didn't push very much at all. Like I said everyone was yelling at me. I can totally admit I was not listening at all. It was more like I couldn't hear anything beyond what my body was doing. My body was screaming louder than everyone else. =) But when I did focus in on what everyone was yelling and obeyed them, that is when I pushed really well. Apparently I tore pretty bad. Gideon had his fist next to his head, so I pushed out a head and fist. They said I probably wouldn't have torn at all if it wasn't for his hand! Thanks kid!
My first words were, "oh my baby boy." I was happy they put him right on me. I remember Evan crying next to me. Which always touches my heart. Evan cut the cord too. I think this time Evan ended up seeing a lot more than he wanted. It all happened so fast I don't think either of us really had time to think. I wish I was more aware than I was. But oh well. One of the other first things I said was I wanted Reagan here. I heard them say the time so I knew he was still awake, unfortunately Evan's Dad did not come right away. =( Sad because I didn't like waiting to see Reagan. And sad because it made Reagan's bed time REALLY late.
I'm bummed because when Reagan did arrive I was in the bathroom with the nurse so I missed the Brother's first meeting. =( I was crying in the bathroom because I was missing it, and crying because I wanted to see my first born. It's funny to me how much I missed Reagan the whole day. I tried so hard to suck up my tears and be happy and normal when I came out so Reagan wouldn't be worried. But Evan couldn't help his tears. We were both emotional mess balls. =) But Reagan handled everything like a champ. He was for sure in a bit of shock for awhile. But he eventually get more comfortable. We gave him a present of a set of train tracks at the hospital, and a Thomas the Train, fork and spoon set, plate, cup and bowl set, and a water bottle for his present when we came home with baby.
No comments:
Post a Comment