Friday, February 19, 2010

Relationship & Financal classes

Evan and I have been going to a class every Friday for the past 5 weeks. On Building a Stronger Marriage. This was a class offered by our church. Evan and I were both really looking forward to this class. Evan was actually the catalyst behind us going, he signed us up and actually remembered the date and had a light in his voice about it.

I mention this because that kind of behavior is not like Evan at all. I'm usually the one reading the books, listening to talks on CD, watching DVD's and trying to get us to try things I've read or heard about, or talk about this, and share that. He usually goes along dragging his feet, and rolling his eyes, making comments, sighing and fidgeting. I was so glad he was so positive and wanted to participate in this class.

The teacher started off by having us all commit to come to every class and do the homework, blah, blah. So I silently committed and the class began. OMGosh! talk about role reversal, I was the one writing notes to Evan, fidgeting and trying to think of an emergency escape route. The class seemed to go on and on. We both started to wonder if we would EVER get out. Since we didn't know it was going to be a 2 hour class! It wasn't only the length, it was the presentation as well. I won't even go into it.

We left the class not very impressed, and not really wanting to go back. We both felt the next class would be better, and decided to try it again. Long story short, we have kept going. Me, because I had silently committed to, (won't do that again, till I know what I'm really committing to) I'm not really sure why Evan kept going, we both have not looked forward to it, and everything we were taught I already knew.

Evan and I both commented how I had already learned it, and shared it with Evan, so we both felt it was redundant, and we also both agree I could teach the class and do a much better job! =) We had 2 men from church visit us the week after the 1st class, and one of them had gone and asked us what we thought. I was honest and told him. He was smiling because he, and his wife thought the same thing. The first class was PACKED, people were having to grab more chairs to find a seat, all the classes after that, were pretty bare.

In the middle of these classes, a friend of mine, (the friend I mentioned in the earlier blog, that is so positive and uplifting.) Sent us an email inviting us to a Financial Peace University seminar by Dave Ramsey. Of course, due to our recent experience Evan and I both got a chuckle out of this offer! And decided we would think about it. The class is being held at my friend's house every Sunday from 4-6pm for I don't know how many weeks.

Evan and I talked last week about my need to build relationships and put more effort into finding positive uplifting friends. Angela really is so wonderful, and the people she associates with are wonderful too. So we are going, (not committing) and who knows, maybe Evan and I can form some positive long lasting relationships, and come together more as a couple though this course.

I do watch the Suze Orman show every week, and actively work to follow her council, and be financially well rounded and responsible, but there are many things I know Evan and I can stand to learn about finances. Angela is giving this class raving reviews, I hope her positive attitude isn't over selling it. =)

1 comment:

  1. that's a bummer the class was so bad. :( oh well, at least it was all refresher stuff and you were together. :) loren and i have done the dave ramsey course before and it was GREAT! it's a 13 week commitment but very informative, gets you on the same page, and covers jst about every aspect of finances. i think you'll like it alot.

    ReplyDelete