I have noticed some differences in my short time here from my life in WA. So far, all of them are great!
The first super cool thing we don't have in WA is Amish people! I want so badly to take pictures of them, but the places I find them are kind of dis-illusioning. Places like WalMart, Gas stations, and Buffet restaurants. =( I always thought they would be out on their farm working the fields with their horses and plows. Not shopping at Walmart! It's still very cool to me. I'm sure to everyone that lives here it is nothing to see them, but it still gets me excited! I watch them like a freak show. I'm just amazed at the idea of how they live, I want to see what makes them different from me, just by looking at them.
The next thing I love is the heavier ratio of county music being played every where we go, restaurants, stores etc! I love it! My channel saves in my car are over loaded with various county stations. However, you would think with all the station options you would hear less repeat songs; Negative, the stations here over play songs too. The current ones driving me nuts are The House that Built Me, and Strong Man.
The weather so far is Spectacular! It's been prime WA summer weather everyday since we arrived!!
Next, the Southern Drawl!!!! I have noticed I love the men's southern drawl better then the women. In all honestly I think it's cause women naturally have more whining voices, so adding a southern drawl on top of it can get pretty dang annoying when it's a real thick one. But I love the men's accent!! It still makes me kinda laugh inside when I hear it ALL over the place. I didn't think TN was so far South that it would be so heavy! Even though I just said that I don't really like women's southern accents, I still wouldn't mind having one of my own!!
Last is the churches. Anyone familiar with Education Hill in Redmond, WA and all the slew of churches in such a small radius will have a good idea of what I mean. It's like Education Hill everywhere we drive. There are all different kinds of churches EVERYWHERE! I only wish there were more of my church here! I'm much more of a minority out here then in WA. But it's all good, all the more missionary work available for me!
Glad you are enjoying the southern hospitality and I hope your adjustments get easier! We are super excited to have you, Evan, and little baby Waldroup here in Clarksville! Good luck!
ReplyDelete