Evan and I were talking the other day about how we were raised. The biggest thing we talked about was going out to play. If I was going outside I had to tell my mom, and that would always be followed by, "stay where I can see you!" If plans changed and I wanted to go to a friends house I had to come back in the house and ASK my mom if I could go, that wasn't always a shoe in answer. She would think about it, ask a few questions, then let me go...maybe. I was thinking mostly of my time as a very young kid in WA living in our first apt. I remembered even if we wanted to go upstairs to play with the dog at our neighbors place we had to ask. It was all about asking and getting permission before we did anything. I now feel it is just a matter of respect. I was never bothered by it, it was just how I was raised, I didn't know any different.
Evan's life growing up was totally opposite. He and his brothers would literally be gone all day, they would walk through town, stay in the woods all day! Evan even said he and his friends would look at the other kids in the neighborhood that couldn't go all over and stay out all the time and that had to check in and tell their parents where they were going with remorse. They thought that life had to suck. Well, that was my life and it didn't suck because that is just how it was. Evan never told his mom where he was going or what he was doing.
If Reagan was gone or did the things Evan did and took off all day I would FREAK!! I told Evan, if I couldn't see Reagan or know where he was I would be screaming, calling neighbors and banging on peoples doors. About that time many scenes of my mom screaming like a crazy woman when she couldn't find us kids goes through my mind. =) hmmm, she isn't seeming so crazy now... *sigh* wow, I'm so much like my mom!
This conversation lead us to the present day. Evan brought up how this little conversation helps him understand me a little more, he said, "This is probably why it drives me so nuts when you ask so many questions, you always want to know, where are we going, how long are we going to be, what are we going to be doing, I'm just like, grrr, wait and see!!" That had me laughing, because I really do like to know a lot of information and I find it pretty disrespectful some of the things Evan does without consulting me.
I really check with Evan over very tiny things, I see it as being polite and doing the right thing. Just today I got our Pampered Chef stuff delivered and I called Evan to make sure he was fine if I opened it. I'm not sure if he would have done the same. I like checking with Evan. It is my way of showing respect and love. I don't know if I would have seen our behavior as a result of our upbringing but I can clearly see that now. Poor Reagan is going to grow up in a strict house like mine, well, I don't really think my growing up was strict, but compared to Evan's it was. Times are even scarier now, I will protect my son as best I can. I will follow my instincts and hope Evan will respect them.
evan and i have talked about our upbringing in those regards before, but i also know he doesn't see that it is an option in today's world. when we were young, we lived on post, and things were different then. things have changed a lot in the world. on the other hand, i don't think i would be as open to my kids running clear back in the woods like we used to, no matter what friends, era, etc! the pampered chef stuff being opened, now that's a bit too much asking, if you ask me, lol. ;)
ReplyDeleteI called up E to check about the Pampered Chef stuff because he was just as excited as I was to have it arrive, I wasn't sure if he wanted to open with me and share the fun. I LOVE opening new things, and I know Evan does too, so I wanted to make sure. When I got my Shelf Reliance stuff I didn't call him up to see if I could open it, he didn't express any interest in SR at all, so it was clear to me, the joy to open up that first time delieverly was solely mine to ejoy.
ReplyDeleteIs that better? Or does it still seem too much?! It's just how I am. It's a very conscious action to me when I do those sorts of things, I'm not sure if Evan feels more respected and loved, but it builds my respect and love for him by doing those little things. Totally worth it then, right!! =)
lol, not that my opinion matters, but yes, that makes more sense. :)
ReplyDelete