Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Hot Rod Date Night

I got this great date idea from Love Actually Blog.  Trying to be economical, being creative is key.  This is such a great blog with so many great ideas for dates, or making your spouse feel loved.  I wish I had the time and talent to do them all.

I stopped by Evan's work on the way home and dropped off an appt slip for Evan to have a "tune up" at "Jenn's Body Shop"  I stuck it on his window and had to rush home and try to get ready before he got off work.  It was 4:15pm, Evan gets off at 4:30 and his appt was for 5pm!

I got home and set up "shop"...


On the Front door

Sign on the bathroom

Bedroom sign
I got out a rag, and some oil and a flash light to make it look more, car maintency.  (no, none of that stuff was actually used!)

I pulled my hair back and tried to look like a real car mechanic.  Complete with oil on the face (Mascara)

That's all the prep I actually did.  I admit, I'm not at all good at role playing.  I already had written out ahead of time what Evan's "Invoice" was going to say after I did my "inspection".  I won't include a picture of the invoice. ;) (you're welcome) 

Since I have no clue what I'm doing and felt pretty silly the inspection was short...I just wanted to get to the exterior wash and maintenance!!  But a few clever things I came up with in my invoice was a "missing spare tire" and slight ware on the shock absorbers (E has bad knees)  I also mentioned to the "customer" how happy I was because he brought in a Muscle Vehicle for me to inspect!

That was pretty much it.  We both kinda tried to be creative but we aren't too imaginative.  So the whole theme night didn't last too long.  But I was happy Evan was such a good sport and let me try something new.

We then went to Jersey Mikes and got subs, combined with food from home and went out and had a picnic.  We played on the teeter totter, and started to head to Walmart so E could get a new battery for his truck.  On the way we decided to turn around and get my car, then pick up the battery at walmart because the truck was not going to make it. 

The closer we got to home the worse E's truck got.  The radio, and lights totally stopped working. (it was dark out at this point)  We were driving on the shoulder putting up the little hills.  It's 1.5 miles from our house to Laura and Loren's.  We decided we couldn't even make it to our house, since we pass their house on the way, and the way the truck was acting we were going to try and get it to their house.  Bummer of all bummers we were less than 1 min away walking when we had a red light and had to stop.  That's when the car died.  We got the truck just into the Shell gas station before it died.  I mean, JUST into the gas station.  It stopped in the entrance.  The car behind us honked, then decided to ask if we needed help. DUH! Ya think we like to tick you off and just park our truck in a gas station entrance?! 

Funny part:
Evan asked me to get in the drivers seat and steer.  No problem, I got out and he started pushing, when I was just about in front of the car!!  I yelled at him, "I thought you wanted me to steer?!" (not angry yell, yelling to have him hear me on the other side of the truck.)  Evan's stopped pushing and said, "Oh, I thought you already were in the drivers seat."  Obviously he hasn't noticed my gigantic belly and lack of flexibility to hop into the drivers seat in 3 seconds like I used to!

Anyway, while E and the guy that helped him push his truck were charging the truck I called Laura's house, then her cell phone, then Loren's cell phone to see where they are at.  They were on their date, but so graciously wrapped it up early to come home to help us out....AGAIN!!!  They are so awesome.  I'm thankful I have great family here and in WA that have always been willing to help and offer aid whenever it's needed.

We got the truck charged enough to get to their house, and it died in their driveway.  So much for either one of us having a full date night.  The rest of the night Laura and I were together in the house looking at Halloween costumes, and talking, while the men went to the auto store and worked on the truck.  Laura and I both needed to go to the store so we decided to head out together and go shopping! 

I actually really enjoyed the whole evening.  I love Laura and Loren, hanging out with them is awesome.  It didn't seem to me at all like I missed out on anything.  It was a great night I really enjoyed!!

1 comment:

  1. hehe, i love it, 'grease' and all! sorry i didn't hear my phone! we did end up having a nice date though. :)

    ReplyDelete