Saturday, December 3, 2011

Good Times

Yesterday Reagan and I went to the Festival of the Nativity and listened to a BEAUTIFUL performance of Handel's Messiah.  I was very happy to see so much of my family there!  That really added to my happiness.  I wasn't expecting to see them at all.  My Mother in Law held Reagan for the first little bit of the performance which was fabulous, it allowed me to listen to part of the performance without any distraction and really feel the music and get into the spirit of the season.  I LOVE classical music.  I have always wanted to be a season ticket holder to an orchestra or theatre house.  But I've just never done it.  I wish I had, I still can I'm sure.  But lets face it, there were just so many more opportunities and options in Seattle, not to mention it was a quicker, closer drive then.  I don't think anyone knows how much I love plays, ballets, musicals, and concerts.  How could they?  It's not like I go to them all the time.  A secret, I actually will watch those public stations where they have the opera's and ballets showing, filmed by someone that appears to be recording it on a handheld video camera. =) Not a lot, but more than I think most other people do.

After the performance Reagan and I went home.  I quickly put him to bed because Aunt Laura was so awesome to come over and sit while Reagan slept until Evan got home at 9pm, just so that I could get out of the house ASAP to go dancing.  I didn't want to get settled and talk myself out of going.  I was excited to go out, excited to try my hand at dancing Ballroom again.  I have not gone out Ballroom dancing in over 3 years!!!  That actually shocked me when I thought about it.  I have been focusing mostly on Country Dancing for so long.  That even the Ballroom that I had done 3 years ago was SOO sporadic.  I would say I danced Ballroom maybe twice that year, 3 years ago.

I had many excuses lined up not to go last night.  I didn't feel well, just the day before I couldn't talk at all.  I was blessed to have more of a voice on Friday.  But I had that excuse of still not feeling well, then by the time Evan got home I could see myself being comfy on the couch and into a TV show and tempted by wanting to spend time with Evan (which is so few) and it being late, and most likely not worth the effort at this point.  I already had the thoughts going through my head, I was terrified I might back out and I didn't want to back out.  I had put on make up and done my hair.  I wanted to make the most of it.  I wanted to get out and dance.  I needed to get out and dance.

I have been taking time once a week to have ME time and I hadn't done it yet this week so I needed to honor that and keep it up.  I need to push myself more to get out and do things.  I was so proud of myself.  I had the best time.  Dancing is just like riding a bike!!  I'm glad my muscles have such a great memory.  After a few dances the gals I had met when I first came in came up to me and said, "Okay, so we can see you aren't new to dancing.  When you said you were new here we thought you were new to dancing."  I laughed and said, "I've had a couple lessons."  I never told them this was my first time dancing, I told them it was my first time there. =) 

The only dance I actually found myself thinking on was the Hustle.  Thankfully I wasn't asked to dance a quick-step.  I doubt I could have kept up with that one.  That was a toughie even at my prime.  The first 2 dances I was tense and sweating from nerves but I warmed up pretty well after that.  I loved being lead through steps that I had forgotten, but my body remembered, and I did them, it wasn't until after the move was over that I thought, "Oh yeah, I remember that one.  I love that step!"  I was SO happy.  I'm sure I had a Perma-Grin the whole night.  I was so excited.  West Coast is still my strongest dance.  I didn't get to do a Samba.  But I did a couple of Tango's.  The first Tango I was just trying to get re-acquainted with the dance, the 2nd Tango I was pretty close to great. At least the people there thought so.  They were ewwing and ahhing and clapped for my partner and I afterwards.  Crazy! 

That really makes me feel good to STILL be appreciated.  And still have something that people enjoy watching about me.  After 3 plus years of not dancing I'm good enough to be complimented.  It's humbling because I just can't believe it.  I'm no where as good as I used to be.  So much of the technique is gone, some of the technique went away just from my switching to Country dancing for so long.  Country is a much more lazy dance style.  Last night was just about moving and getting through the steps without stepping on my partners toes, and following correctly.  I look forward to dancing more and being able to hopefully get my technique back. 

I need to dance; but now for a different reason than before.  It is important to get out to socialize with others, and to be me.  Dancing brings me back into who I was before I was Mama.  I need to meet that Jenn more often.  It makes for a happier Jenn.  I'm sore this morning and I love it!  I woke up this morning, tried to turn over and my bones were stuck for a moment, I loved it!  I'm thankful for this gift I have been given.  I have been blessed with a talent.  I'm so grateful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment