Monday, December 3, 2012

25 Days of Christmas Activities

I have often prayed for a Servant's Heart, or to find ways I can serve.  There is a huge difference between praying about it and actually actively looking!

This is the first time, and will be our new tradition to give 25 days of service up to Christmas, and each night we read a Christmas story, read a scripture that goes along with it, and sing a song.

Evan is really not into these sort of things, so I had made up my mind that this was going to happen whether Evan was on board or not.  He is gone so much and so late I can either do these things during the day or wait until Evan comes home if he decides he wants to join in.

I must admit, I approached the topic with out much faith Evan would be on board, and bracing myself to stay calm and have a wall up to whatever remark Evan may make about it.  Sighs, and Huffs included. =P  But to my total shock he didn't make a face, heave a heavy sigh, roll his eyes or anything!!

On the 1st we were heading to the store, this was my first attempt at the 25 days of service idea.  I told Evan my plans, and mentioned that one of the suggestions I had read was to buy someones groceries ahead of you in line at the store.  Evan was totally fine with this!  On our way he mentioned how awkward it would be, and I agreed.  I told him we could play it by ear and see how it goes.  It turns out as we were walking to check out I was scanning the isle's, we only passed one isle before a clerk was standing out front waiting for people to ring up and asked us if we were ready.  So I took it.  I thought about buying the persons items behind us, when Evan called my name and pointed to an Angel Tree.  That was a perfect idea!!  It wasn't what Evan or I had thought it was going to be.  You only had to have the clerk scan this tag and pay whatever it said on the tag.  Not the typical Giving Tree I was thinking of, but it still felt nice to know I did something.  Evan and I both talked about it on the way home, how we like to go out and get something that people want, like gifts for kids or something like that.  But people do NEED food, and it was through the Salvation Army.  I just like the more personal touch.

On our way home, Evan said we should go rake someones leafs!  He was quick to get on board with this whole service thing!!  I told him, "Don't get crazy, we only need to do 1 service a day, lets not over do it!"  (I was kidding of course) =)  I love his enthusiasm

Later that day I shared my plan with Evan about reading a Christmas story each night, with a song and scripture.  I really thought this would be too much for him.  But once again, he didn't give any response that my highly emotional preggers personality would cry about. =)  I didn't let him know how long the stories are.  I just started reading.  I was a little nervous that as I read he would interrupt and ask how much longer (which he has done before)  But he didn't.  In fact we each got a little emotional during the reading.

It's been nice to sing the Christmas songs together too, I know it's only been 2 days so far.  But I really enjoy it.  Evan even read the story last night and got emotional!  That made me happy and hopeful that maybe he is more into this than I hoped for and will actually help me keep this up.  Nothing like tugging on your heart strings, and tear ducts to get you in the Christmas Spirit.

Today I wasn't sure yet what the service would be, but Reagan and I found something!  And thankfully more and more things are popping up now that I have my feelers out!  It makes me so happy and so excited for this month!  Yea for Christmas!

If you would like the Word Document for the Christmas Story, Song and Scripture let me know and I'll forward it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment