Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Reagan's Heart

We had Reagan's Cardio appointment yesterday.  To make sure we had a good appt I kept us busy that morning to help him have a good nap that afternoon before his appt.  We got his hair cut, and went to a couple different stores until it was time for his nap.  He had just gotten to sleep when the Landscapers came to our house clanking their ladders, and blowing the leaves right under Reagan's window!  GRRR, it woke him up crying from frustration.  Reagan has a very distinct cry when he has been woken up before his body planned. =(  I was so mad, because these is also no going back to sleep for Reagan after that.  So now, I had a VERY tired boy thanks to my brilliant plan from the morning, and an appointment where it is very important for him to hold still for a very long time. 

Have any of you tried to keep a tired 2 year old from moving?!  Yeah, you see my frustration.  I was actually pretty blessed, I armed myself with a bag full of tricks.  I brought our DVD player with Parent Trap in it, the book that Reagan likes to play with in the car, 2 mini magnet trains, a cup of milk and a cup of water and a couple food treats that he likes.

He was a perfect gem during the ultrasound of his heart.  He held really still watching his movie, and both hands kept busy by one holding a train and the other his cup of milk.  The Ultrasound tech said afterwards, "You are the best 2 year old I have worked on in a very long time!"  I could tell she was very impressed.  Which of course makes me very proud and happy.

Next Reagan needed to be weighed and measured.  Because they knew a 2 year old was coming they had a HUGE variety of toys laid out that caught Reagan's attention.  I understand why they do it, most parents I'm sure are not like me and bring their own ammo.  And these people also did not know my son, unfortunately.  He would have listened much better if he wasn't distracted by NEW toys.  We got him weighed and measured, then he had to go into another room.  At the starts Reagan was just eyeing the toys.  But they encouraged him to pick out toys and he ended up with 2 trucks. *sigh*  This would be our downfall later.

They needed an EKG of Reagan's heart next, which is about 10-15 stickers all over his chest, tummy, and side, then they hook up the clamps to them.  Reagan needed to lay down while the guy nurse put all this stuff on.  And another female nurse tried to keep Reagan happy.  Which she didn't need to do, I guess they are used to a certain type of 2 year old, which my kid is not.  So it actually in my opinion made things a little harder on themselves.  The nurse finally let me take her place.  I put one train in each hand, and that was that.  He was good to go.  There was no problem with him trying to take off the stickers or clamps.  However, I'm not sure if Reagan got scratched, or just got overwhelmed by all the stuff being put on him but he randomly started to cry like he was in pain.  =(  I talked to him and told him he was fine, the Ultrasound tech came in to see what was wrong, and I told her the guy hit him. =) We all chuckled, and she told the male nurse that I was a prepared Mom and to let me do my thing. =)  Once again, that really made me feel good.  She obviously like my Son, and knew I knew best.  FINALLY a medical professional that understands me!

After all of that, the Dr. finally came in!!  Now for the fabulous news.  He was very excited and his face lit up to share with me that Reagan's heart was a miracle.  He said it was as good as it could be.  He saw, "minimal, minimal back flow"  He also mentioned that if you had shown the condition of Reagan's heart to a room full of Cardiologist at his birth none of them would have said Reagan's heart would look as good as it does right now!  He will most likely still need a surgery in 10 years.  But that is a step up from what we have been told since his birth, that he would need a surgery at 8 years old.  The Dr. was optimistic about the advances in technology in 10 years, and that hopefully it would not be a very invasive surgery.  He listened to Reagan's heart with a good ol stethoscope and said it sounded just fine.  He could barely hear the back flow.  So now we won't have to go back to see the Cardiologist for a whole year!!!

Now for the down fall, Reagan must have reached his end.  I know he was tired, so I tried to have the understanding needed for that fact.  As it was time to leave I took his trucks and he melted down!!  This has hands down been the worst fit EVER from my son.  It was long, loud and dramatic!!!  I knew I just needed to get him out of the office and he would live.  He can't take the trucks, so no use arguing with him, he was screaming too loud anyway.  So I just kept dragging him along.  The female nurse felt sorry for him I guess because everyone was trying to be all sweet to him and talk to him, and the nurse had said, "oh, let me see what we have for him"  I told her no, it was okay.  I was so busy dragging Reagan out I didn't really pay attention to anyone.  I got Reagan into the reception area to make his next appt and the nurse came out with a brand new truck for him. GRRRR I Do Not Like Rewarding Bad Behavior.  I was so mad she did that.  Reagan stopped crying and was so proud of himself for winning. =(  Oh man was I pissed.  I tried to jokingly, (but I knew seriously) say.  "You are horrible, you are just like a Grandma.  We do not reward bad behavior and fit throwing."  She laughed and said, "I know, you can't take me anywhere"

Even now when I see that stupid car they gave him I'm upset by it, and upset when I see him play with it.  Reagan will bring it to me and say, "car, car..."  To which I reply, "yeah, that was the car you got for being a brat."  I hate seeing kids get what they want when they throw fits.  You don't always get what you want in life, and when my kid throws a fit he gets even less.

No comments:

Post a Comment