My first Sunday with our new Primary class SUCKED!! I try to not use that word, but it really did.
I never wanted to teach them again! We have 12 kids that come to church, and they are just little terrors. I miss my sweet little munchkins from before. However, I have had a few weeks to think about it and after visiting Deseret Bookstore while in WA I got a few ideas that have proved to be inspired.
We bought a pack of CTR Stickers. With the plan of giving them to the most reverent kid after class. I also remembered as a kid in school. When you did something wrong in class instead of the teacher calling out your name and holding up class to reprimand you she would write your name on the board, and if it kept up you would keep getting check marks next to your name. After so many checks you would miss your recess. So with that idea I decided that was a good visual for our little kiddos, with a slight variation.
Each kid started out the class with 3 little balls, they could earn more by being reverent, which entailed, raising their hands, answering questions when I ask, and not talking until I call on them. I even made a little sign, of a kid raising his hand, a person with tape over their mouth and a yellow button with a question mark on it and posted it behind me where the kids could see it through out the whole lesson to be reminded of what they needed to do to get the Sticker. They could also lose little balls if they weren't obeying the rules. At the end of class whoever had the most balls would get the sticker. But what about the other kids that were good too you may ask? We have treats that every child can have that was good, but only one kid will get the awesome sticker!
The kids really responded well to this. It totally worked. Sadly, a couple kids are just punks, but slightly less punkish with the idea of treats. Sadly a couple of them were pretty bummed when they counted up their balls and only had 2, while the winner had 9. My hope is that over time they will figure out how to keep a hold of their balls and be a sticker winner. Everyone got a treat today because even the punks were a better version of punks and I can value and appreciate the effort.
When I stepped into Sharing Time today, the teacher in the class behind us had her granddaughter standing by her, (her granddaughter is in our class). She told me that her mom wasn't in church that day and that her granddaughter wanted to go with her to her class. I said, "Okay, well she did pretty well in our class the last time we had her, but that's fine." I then turned around so I could focus on keeping the leash tight on the other 12 little busy bee's. This lady then taps me on the shoulder and says, "I don't think you understood what I was trying to say. I was hoping you could try and get her to sit with you and go to your class."
WTH?! If that's what you wanted me to do then just ask. She seemed kind of frustrated that I wasn't able to read her mind. Sorry lady, I only know what you tell me. I did what I could but keeping all our kids reverent is tough and all consuming. I was told during my teacher orientation before we switched classes for the year about this particular child. I was told she is actually fine, and that the problem with going to class is more a grandparent issue. I totally see that. She does awesome in our class. Even the first class she was raising her hand and offering answers. Today when her grandma stepped out with a kid from her class, she came and sat on my lap during Sharing time and came to class with us, no problem. You would never know she didn't want to come to class. Other than she appears a little shy at first. But all she needs, (in my opinion) is a supportive family that doesn't enable.
Anyway, I'm really glad I was so inspired with these ideas that are so far working great. Sharing Time can be pretty hard too, so I told them the rules go the same during Sharing Time, they need to sing, pay attention and sit still.
I am glad that you are learning to deal with you new class. It is hard at the beginning of the year but they will get better. Keep trying and if you need anything I am more than willing to help you out. Christina misses ya'll teaching.
ReplyDeleteI will talk with you about your situation on Sunday if we have the time to pull you out of Sharing time. I know some about the situation and it might help you in how to handle it.
You are doing a great job.