Friday, November 12, 2010

The Birthing Experience

Hi! This is Evan's sister, Laura.  Jennifer asked me to post for her while they are busy and recovering right now.  Plus, I have all the pictures.  :)  Jennifer's midwife came late Tuesday afternoon to check her.  She had lost her mucus plug that morning and was experiencing some more than usual back pain.  Despite that, the midwife said she hadn't made any progress but was sure she would have the baby by the weekend.  A few hours later, I got a call from Evan saying he was taking her to the hospital.  A couple hours after that, he called back to say she was 3 cms and they were admitting her and that Jennifer wanted me to come whenever I could get away.  Within 20 minutes I was able to get my nursing baby to bed and be on my way.  I asked what they had forgotten or needed and it was very simple things.  Something minty from the vending machines and speakers for the relaxing music.  Easy things for me to get!  :)
    Evan got the mood music going and Jenn did her deep breathing.  This was very important because the anesthesiologist was busy at the time and couldn't come right away.
Evan did some recording to make sure the camera was working.  He was enjoying this more than she was!
During contractions, her back was hurting pretty bad but she handled it great with the soothing talk and breathing.  I was very proud of her.  :)
In between contractions, she was still smiling.
Evan giving me a big cheese!
Helping to sooth her
Her awesome 'Boy or Girl' socks from a friend of mine.
Getting pretty miserable now.  This is in between contractions now and not smiling.
The anesthesiologist finally makes it!
But not before I ruin things for her for another minute.  ;)  He was going through all the typical medical questions as she answered 'no' to everything without even listening.  :)  During the heart questions I mentioned her heart murmur and quickly had to jump back when I thought I might be hurt!  She was pretty ticked, afraid that she may not get her epidural now.
I felt bad but not bad enough to regret it.  Better safe than sorry for me!  He did a quick check of her heartbeat, had her verbally deny any stenosis (sp?) and Evan and I departed so she could get her epidural.
We came back 30 minutes later and it was all good!  :)
This is when Evan began having some fun with the nurses equipment.
Dr. Evan
The very sweet nurse, Cindy.  They got her readjusted in the bed and rechecked her cervix.  She was now 5cms so it was time for everyone to get some sleep.
Evan was quite tired.
My last picture, leaving at midnight.  The timing was perfect because my little one was back up for her feeding!
Evan called around 6:40 in the morning to let me know she was 9cms and that he would call me when she got to 10.  I made arrangements for my kids (because I came home to puking at midnight and they couldn't go to school) so I could go back.  My mom wasn't working until noon so she came to be with the kids so I could take pictures and video for them.  I hurried and picked up some donuts for the nurses from Evan and Jenn, expecting she'd be ready to push when I arrived but she was still at 9cms.
Here is Evan bringing the car seat in.  :)
Jennifer is wiping the sleepiness from her eyes.
She stays stuck at 9 cms for hours and gets a fever of 102 so the doc comes to talk about starting pitocin to get her moving and avoid an infection.
They gave her a 2 hour dose of the epidural medicine expecting her to deliver within that time.
It started to wear off.
Evan is still looking pretty tired.
He goes to comfort her in her pain.
The nurse checks the epidural situation.
Pain is getting worse.
Another adjustment.
Both of us trying to comfort.
The nurse anesthetist finally brings another dose, saying this is the max she can give in case she has to have a c-section.  So she watches her push to be sure she can see the baby's head and then gives her the meds.
Time for the stirrups!
A little bit more pain,
and some emotions,
calming down
All smiles again  :)
Gotta love modern medicine!
Sorry for so many pics...not sure which ones she wants on here yet so you get almost all of them.
Time for a push.
She was a rock star pusher through the whole 2 hours!
At one point Evan realized he forgot his deodorant so he goes in the bathroom to put some of hers on.  :)
Pushing
Resting
Smooching :)
Lots of tender moments
Jenn asks Evan to get one of us together.
More pushing
and more
Evan starts to push too!  :)
In need of a little oxygen, she is working so hard!
Back at it strong
Still smiling  :)
They finally call the doc in so this means business!  He talks to her about some options to help get the baby out.  He ends up using a little suction cup.  The problem was that her pushing progress kept regressing because the baby would suck back up inside her after the pushing. 
One try with the suction cup and out comes the baby!  I think maybe they should have gotten that thing sooner, lol!
I LOVE this picture with both their reactions!  Evan starts to cry and Jennifer has a look of amazement on her face.  She did wonderfully!!
Evan cuts the cord.  This is where things get a little hairy for me.  I was trying to take pictures and record video at the same time.  It takes a talented person to do both, lol, because I didn't do so great!
Baby on Mama's chest and Daddy bawling....I love it!  :)
So many beautiful moments.  It was a privilege to be there for them!
Lots of happy tears.
Time to go get cleaned up.
Suction
Daddy gets to trim the cord up.
Looks like a sweet little smile here.  :)
Jennifer resting a minute while she gets stitched (I'm sure she'll share her birthing experience later  :)
Footprint time!
Daddy lovin' on his boy.  Yes, it's a BOY!!
Still overcome with emotion.  I love my brother!
Next little ink foot.
Tubing down real quick for deeper suction.
Jennifer is enjoying watching Evan bond with Reagan Rockwell Waldroup.
He wasn't as big as we expected at 10 days over due.  He looked very long and skinny.  An adorable little guy!!
He got quite the swollen red eyes during all that pushing.
He looked like a mad little old man when they put him on the scale, lol!
7 lbs 5 ozs
20 inches long
The proud new parents
A pretty good mix of the 2 of them, I think.  Evan thinks he looks like Ryan.
Whoever he looks like, he is ADORABLE!
Checking his sucking reflexes.  They look good, eh?
Checking his skull.  He doesn't like that much at all!
Very large hands!  Long skinny fingers like his auntie.  ;)
Head measurement
Eye goo time...he was a real trooper for it.
Diaper before he passes anything....again...he peed on the nurse right when she first took him away.  :)
After his examination, the pediatric nurse brings him to Mama.
She's just a little excited.  :)
They laugh about getting her undressed to feed him.  Jenn says he won't have any trouble latching on if he is anything like his Daddy.  :)
He tells Evan ways he can help her get the baby latched on at later.
All the while he is talking, Reagan is doing just fine.
Doesn't she look wonderful?!!
First Mommy moments
Emotions take over again
There was a lot of love in that hospital room! 
Thanks for letting me be a part of your big day, Jennifer, Evan and Reagan!  I love you guys!!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!

    Jennifer- You look AMAZING considering your hard labor! Congrats on the new addition, he's absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete