Monday, October 18, 2010

Family Mission Statement

Once again, I got a great idea from Love Actually.  Before seeing the ideas on this blog I had already been wanting to make a family mission statement but thought it had to be more involved then what it was, so I never got around to it.  I was also trying to come up with a way to get Evan into it.  But I finally realized there is no way to wrap this idea up and trick him into thinking it is anything other then what it is, and thus, he would not be up for this idea and I knew I would only end up sad and frustrated. 

I've been thinking for a very long time about what I would like in my family mission statement and a few of the same ideas kept coming to me, I would hear an idea and think, "that is a motto I would like my family to live by."  So I eventually just took the bits and pieces and put them together to form our family mission statement.  I made a rough draft then had Evan read it and tell me what he thought of it, and asked him if he thought of anything else he wanted to add...of course, he didn't have anything else to add. =)  So here is the final draft.  I took bits from the 13th Article of Faith, scriptures, and The Proclamation to the World.  There is however 1 line that is original to me and our family.  So I'm not completely unable to think of something original! =)
As a Family…
We believe in being
Honest
True
Chaste
Benevolent
Virtuous
& in doing good to all men…
If there is anything
Virtuous
Lovely
of Good report
or Praiseworthy
we seek after these things.
We talk of Christ
We rejoice in Christ
We preach of Christ…
that our children may know to what source they may look
for a remission of their sins (2 Nephi 25:26)

“Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love & righteousness, to provide for their physical & spiritual needs, to teach them to love & serve one another, to observe the commandments of God & to be law-abiding citizens… successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of:
Faith
Prayer
Repentance
Forgiveness
Respect
Love
Compassion
Work
& wholesome recreational activities.

Husband & wife have a solemn responsibility to love & care for each other & for their children…honor martial vows with complete fidelity. In these sacred responsiblities, fathers & mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners.”

Mom & Dad put each other first, then children, so our love will be fuller & more complete & able to lead the family together.

Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment